Certificate Validation

A Diploma validation indicates with which Dutch level a foreign diploma is comparable. You might (not always) need this when you apply for a job. The Company likes to know your level of education. Most of the time you need it when you want to start a study that needs a diploma to get access.

If your diploma cannot be validated, you will receive a Notification with no evaluation.

You can only request a free diploma validation if you have these documents:

  1. An asylum residence permit (asylum permit) from the IND

  1. DUO’s Integration Notice letter. You will receive this letter after you have received a residence permit.

You can request a diploma validation via the website or IDW. You will usually receive this after at least 6 weeks.

So in case, you need a free diploma validation to start a bachelor’s or a master you first need to have a residence permit.

IDW (international degree evaluation)

International Diploma Valuation (IDW) allows refugees to apply for one free diploma valuation. The diploma valuation is in Dutch and digitally signed. You don’t have to pay any costs for this service. On the website of the IDW, you will find an explanation of what steps you need to take.

Your diploma in the Netherlands

Do you want to know what your diploma is worth in The Netherlands? Due to the differences in the educational systems of your home country and the Netherlands, it is possible that your diploma is not equivalent to a comparable Dutch diploma. On the website of Nuffic (only in Dutch), you can compare your diploma with diplomas in the Netherlands. This is handy because many studies and jobs require a diploma of a certain level. This way you can quickly see whether you are at that level.